- Thomas Aquinas explores every question known to man in a deliberate, turn over every philosophical stone manner. Ms. Frizzle frequently shrunk her students to the size of stones to look at matter in a more detailed way.
- Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae is a masterpiece of argument and counterargument, resolved after getting everything out on the table. Ms. Frizzle's motto is "Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!" Same thing.
- Thomas Aquinas wore a Dominican habit with a rosary and scapular. Ms. Frizzle wore the classic 1980s simple teaching dress covered with the topic of the day. In other words, they wore their calling.
- Albert the Great called Thomas "the Whiz" (when "the Dumb Ox" moniker was insufficiently appreciated). Ms Frizzle was called "the Friz."
- Ms. Frizzle had Lizzy the Lizard as a helper, sidekick, and occasional bus driver. Thomas Aquinas probably had graduate assistants.
- Thomas Aquinas was a mendicant, a member of a teaching order that relied on providence for daily bread. Ms. Frizzle was an impoverished public school teacher.
- Ms. Frizzle took her students on field trips. Thomas Aquinas took his students on head trips.
- Thomas Aquinas said "sed contra." Ms. Frizzle said "Bus, do your stuff!"
- Thomas Aquinas had students who needed life lessons mixed in with their logic. Ms. Frizzle had the very same students.
- Thomas's Summa remains unfinished. The Magic School Bus is crying for completion of the series.
Thursday, January 03, 2013
How Ms Frizzle Is A Lot Like Thomas Aquinas
No one commented when I said my resolution was become the Ms Frizzle of theology for 2013. I see you clearly need convincing of the value of my quest. Ergo, to the bus! The ten ways Ms. Frizzle is a lot like St. Thomas Aquinas....