|A live Monsignor! Photo credit.|
I just think we should consider hidden benefits of fewer monsignors:
- You know those old dictionary lists of commonly misspelled words? I think Monsignor is #1. Better spelling for the masses! (Yeah, I said it that way on purpose. Hee haw.)
- Plural: monsignori . Oh yeah. That is MENSA worthy vocab, people. We're not that smart.
- The abbreviations are even worse, different in every language. Basta!
- More purple dye for everyone else! 8 yr old girls rejoice!
- Less likely to mix up your biretta from the STL and the Monsignor's biretta. Such a faux pas.
- Monsignor=MiLord. I'm no Marxist but that still feels pretty much like the people of God=the proletariat to me. Or Downton Abbey.
- The truth is out: they're running out of unique coats of arms.
- No Monsignori saints. 'Nuff said.
- It's -20 out there today. Take the stockpiled silk capes, and cut and sew them into long underwear. Really, it's how you survive here in Minnesota. Lemonade out of lemons and all....
- You really want to see more purple? Foster an interior spiritual thirst for advent and lent.
I mean no offense to current Monsignors; each one I know personally is a very good man. And if I got something wrong here, feel free to correct me for the record, but remember that this is an issue about which I care less than half a cent in Mexico. I really don't get into this stuff.