But of course, there are a few joyfully ironic comments the occasion yields as well:
- Oh my gosh the man is a miracle worker. He reconciled Franciscans and Jesuits on the first day in his ministry.
- Given his penchant for public transportation, the Popemobile will now become the Popebus.
- From Kevin Koulopoulos on fb: "Plot twist: His first order of papal business is to turn the entirety of Vatican City into a university."
- Upon hearing the name proclaimed, the entire staff at Jesuit-run America Magazine fell to a dead faint.*
- From Thomas McDonald on fb, riffing off Francis' famous locution: Francis, rebuild my website.
- Let's see: first developing world Pope, first Pope of the Americas, first Jesuit, first "new" name since 913 AD. It's amazing they didn't choose purple smoke instead of white, just to shake it up a bit more.
- I was out in our campus hallway giving students high fives. I may need to rein it in.
What a great day!
*Look, I have published in America. I usually like it. This isn't a slam against them at all, just...who expected a Jesuit Pope?
Last but not least, from Catholic Memes:
I'm thrilled, stunned, and feeling hopeful for the first time in years. Also, cried.
I can just see John Paul II peering down and smiling. "I knew you'd do well, friend Jorge."
This post made me smile. Love the humor.
Post a Comment